Those entitled to apply are German pupils, German students and placement students and foreign trainees, in certain circumstances.
The following conditions also apply:
- Aged at least 18
- The loan is only granted until people reach their 36th birthday.
- The student loan programme only supports training courses, which are recognised as part of the BAföG scheme or attending a foreign training institute (or work experience), if this is equivalent to attending a German training centre.
- Pupils must have a vocational qualification or be in the last-but-one or the final year of training, which will lead to a vocational certificate.
- Students must have reached an advanced stage of their training, e.g. have passed the intermediate examination on their course, or be pursuing a master’s degree after the completion of a bachelor’s degree or additional, supplementary or postgraduate studies.
- The student’s loan is normally only granted to the end of the 12th university semester – and beyond if you have been accepted for the exams and confirmation is available that you will be able to complete your studies within the support period (the loan programme also covers the practical year for medical students).